Thursday, September 25, 2008

Pulling it together

OK, enough of the Supergay pity-fest. It's time to get back to business. This blog is about gay life in Detroit, not about me.

Oh who am I kidding, it's all about me.

Advance notice on the Metro Times Best of Detroit indicates the Supergay Slate did very well! We are not at liberty to reveal details, but let's just say we are pleased.

Speaking of, we're coming to you this morning from the wonderful Rowland Cafe in the Guardian Building, and one has to wonder - why can't more independent coffee places in Detroit pull it off like this? The setting is of course fantastic, but they have the kind of cafe pastries you want, good coffee, a capable friendly staff focused on the customer, normal attractive furniture and fixtures and free wi-fi. Is it really that difficult?


OK, I'm behind on lots of topics. More to come.
.

1 comment:

Nora said...

Ooh. Coming out of lurk mode to concur wholeheartedly about the Rowland. The setting is so wonderfully over the top, yet the vibe is quiet and peaceful. The coffee is really good, the service is good, and I confess to a weakness for those little pirouline cookies (or whatever they're called). And savory pastries! Thank you!!!!

I'm always on the hunt for good recharging-and-writing places. I have a soft spot for Cafe Con Leche (in my neck of the woods), recently discovered Cafe 1923 in Hamtramck (whose only drawback in my book is the smokiness, but hey it's open on Sunday and a much nicer option than Starbucks); and I'm looking forward to seeing what the Mercury is like. Oh, and that little cafe in the Fisher Building is pretty good too.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...